Sunday, July 25, 2010

It's' my story and I'm sticking with it!

Thinking a bit more about that College Board report (Friday's blog).....

When I came to America in 4th grade, unfortunately, it became time to slide by in my schooling. Yes, I had to learn English. And I did that. But, the substance of our learning so much easier than what I was used to...

Consider. In Holland, we had learned the multiplication tables up to 20! In our heads! No calculators. No aids. 18 x 17. 13 x 16. Etc. And it was fun!

In the public school in New Jersey, where I started my American education, students were struggling to learn the multiplication tables up to 10. 3 x 7. 8 x 9. Etc. So sad. For me, it was but the start of lowered expectations for many many years.

I wish it were different. But, apparently not. That's why that College Board report is so troubling...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home