Sunday, April 18, 2010

New book on the Shut down learner. SDL not SLD!

Life is great, isn't it. Every day brings new ideas!

So here is Dr. Richard Selznick's book, The Shut-Down Learner--Helping your Academically Discouraged Child. (Shut down learner). This psychiatrist is trying to help kids without labeling them as disabled. So, it's SDL, not SLD! I love it!
It reminds me of my own book, Fixing Special Education--we need to focus on what kids can do, not just what they struggle with, etc. etc. etc. Not just dicing and splicing weaknesses that lead to discouraged learners. It also reminds me of one of my favorite books, Mindset--also the psychology of success, not labels.

Let's see how far SDL goes. We surely need all the new voices we can get for positive approaches.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Rich Selznick said...

Pretty funny. I have joked in my workshops, that I take a non-labneling approach in my work and have come up with a new label!!!

It really wasn't my intention. I try and do my best to help kids (and parents) understand their strenghts and weaknesses in ways that they can understand.

It's not easy work no matter what.

Feel free to shoot me an email selznick-r@cooperhealth.edu if you have any questions or comments.

All the best,

Dr. Richard Selznick

Tuesday, 20 April, 2010  
Blogger Miriam Kurtzig Freedman, M.A., J.D. said...

Great comment! It is hard to get away from those accronyms... but we keep trying. Love it! Miriam

Thursday, 22 April, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home